3 year postdoc in Aotearoa New Zealand – “Ghosts of mutualisms past?” Extinct and modern birds, truffles, sensory ecology and paleoecology!
We need a sensory ecologist/paleoecologist/behavioural ecologist/molecular ecologist who loves fieldwork, labwork, extinct and extant birds, fungi, and collaboration, to help us discover if Aotearoa’s fungi evolved to attract birds. This Marsden-funded position can be based in Auckland or Lincoln, working with a great team: Jamie Wood (@larusNZ, Manaaki Whenua/Landcare Lincoln), Anne Gaskett (Auckland University), Sarah Bury (NIWA Wellington) and Jerry Cooper (Manaaki Whenua Lincoln). Applicants must have extensive field experience, a full drivers licence, and enjoy working with diverse and inclusive teams. Applications close 28 May 2020. Email Anne or Jamie for more info.
- The University of Auckland offers guaranteed Hons, MSc and PhD scholarships to NZ citizens and residents with a GPA of 8.0 or 7.5. Highly competitive PhD scholarships are also available for international students.
If you are interested in a postgraduate project with me, please look at my publications and email me your CV, transcript and some information about your ideal project.
Things to consider:
- What do you love best about the idea of doing postgrad studies?
- What is your future dream job?
- Do you enjoy making discoveries?
- Are you patient with an eye for detail?
- How much lab vs. fieldwork suits you? How long is your ideal fieldtrip? (Daytrips only? 2 weeks? 1-3 month long trips?)
- Do you love travel or would you like all fieldwork to be in Auckland?
- How often would you like to meet up with a supervisor – weekly? Monthly?
- Do you love gadgets and technical stuff?
- Do you enjoy outreach work?
- Do you want to be part of an inclusive labgroup that champions diversity?
More tips on choosing supervisors and projects:
- The Nature of Doctoral Supervision – pdf – 136.88 KB
- Reasons for doing a doctorate – pdf – 128.48 KB
- Choosing a research topic – pdf – 126.56 KB
- Choosing supervisors – pdf – 131.83 KB
- Getting cultural advice for your research – pdf – 121.32 KB
- Making the most of supervision meetings – pdf – 133.85 KB
More about this research project here: http://www.tlri.org.nz/tlri-research/research-completed/post-school-sector/teaching-and-learning-supervision-maori-doctoral